Join Eric Wing for an in-depth discussion in this video Constraining with dimensions, part of Revit: Structural Families.
- The dimensions play a very important role…in the creation of a good, flexible family.…Without the dimensions in a family…you have absolutely no control over anything,…other than the current size and shape of the family.…The dimensions also play an important role…in locking down portions of your family…you want to stay constant and also control…what control-line your family will be centered upon.…By adding some reference planes…we'll go ahead and add some dimensions.…So let's jump into Revit and under "Families" let's go "New"…let's find "Generic Model"…let's click "Open".…
Let's create some reference planes.…I'm going to right-click on my center reference plane…and I'm going to "Create Similar".…On my "Draw Panel" I'm going to use my "Pick Lines" button.…I'm going to offset a foot.…Remember, we're always building off…of our main, strong reference planes.…I'm going to do the same up and down;…I'm going to create a reference plane going up,…and I'm going to create a ref plane going down.…I'm going to hit "Escape" a couple times.…
Following an overview of the basics, Eric provides specific instructions on modeling different types of families: foundation, framing, annotation, and truss families. He'll show how to perform 3D extrusions and build in flexibility with parameters, as well as create formulas, array parameters, and lookup tables.
- Understanding parameters and reference planes
- Creating extrusions and sweeps
- Cutting voids
- Building stepped-footing and other foundation families
- Creating columns
- Adding framing
- Working with metals
- Creating tags and annotations
- Printing sheets
- Creating trusses
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Concrete Buildings with Revit Structurewith Eric Wing1h 56m Intermediate
Revit Structure 2016 Essential Trainingwith Eric Wing2h 44m Beginner
1. Basic Families
2. Foundation Families
3. Framing and Metals
4. Detailing and Annotations
5. Sheets and Printing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.