Join Paul F. Aubin for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a new family from a template, part of Revit Architecture 2014 Essential Training.
Okay so let's get started creating our first piece of Revit family content.…It all starts with a choice of template. So that'll be the first thing we're…going to look at here in this movie. I don't have any files open on screen.…I'm just looking at the Revit recent files screen.…And we have two ways we can create our new family.…We can do it down here in the families area of the recent files screen.…Or you can use the big R, the application menu, highlight new, and choose Family, so…you either choose it there or you click this New link right here.…
Either one will get you to the same place. In both cases, you will be in the new…family select template file dialogue. And the easiest way to understand what…we've got here is to select the first item, and then use the arrow keys on your…keyboard to kind of quickly page through several of these items.…And you'll notice over on the preview there on the right, there's a lot of…difference between each one of these family templates.…So there's several things going on here. Let me tell you what some of the basic…
AuthorPaul F. Aubin
- What is BIM?
- Understanding Revit element hierarchy
- Navigating views
- Creating a new project from a template
- Refining a layout with temporary dimensions
- Adding walls, doors, and windows
- Adding plumbing fixtures and other components
- Linking AutoCAD DWG files
- Rotating and aligning Revit links
- Working with footprint and extrusion roofs
- Adding openings
- Adding railings and extensions to stairs
- Creating stacked and curtain walls
- Hiding and isolating objects
- Adding rooms
- Creating schedule views and tags
- Adding text and dimensions
- Creating new families
- Plotting and creating a PDF
Skill Level Beginner
Advanced Modeling in Revit Architecturewith Paul F. Aubin7h 17m Intermediate
Rendering with Revit Architecture 2012with Paul F. Aubin4h 26m Intermediate
Revit Architecture: The Family Editorwith Paul F. Aubin6h 41m Intermediate
Designing a House in Revit Architecturewith Brian Myers6h 57m Intermediate
1. Core Concepts
2. Getting Comfortable with the Revit Environment
3. Starting a Project
4. Modeling Basics
5. Links, Imports, and Groups
6. Sketch-Based Modeling Components
8. Complex Walls
9. Visibility and Graphic Controls
11. Schedules and Tags
12. Annotation and Details
13. The Basics of Families
14. Sheets, Plotting, and Publishing
Next steps2m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.