Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Program Shift mode, part of Learning the Canon Rebel SL1 (100D and Kiss X7).
- While Program mode sets the shutter speed…and aperture automatically,…Program-Shift mode gives you a bit more influence.…You can try out different combinations of shutter speed…and aperture by rotating the main dial.…Each of these combinations will give you a proper exposure,…but you can influence the shutter speed…and aperture to control motion blur and depth of field.…Rotate the main dial to the right…for larger apertures, or lower f-stops.…This will blur the background details.…It'll also give you faster shutter speeds,…which can help freeze motion.…
The aperture of your lens will limit the setting, however.…Rotate the main dial to the left…for smaller apertures, or higher f-stops.…This will increase the depth of field,…and rely on slower shutter speeds that blur motion.…All of the combinations you choose…will still result in a properly exposed photo.…You can rely upon exposure compensation…to further influence this exposure.…Program Shift mode allows you to change the shutter speed…and the aperture to influence the exposure.…
Want to get up and running even faster? Check out the "Quick Start" chapter to learn how to use your 100D straight out of the box.
- Reviewing the lens controls
- Changing image format and size
- Adjusting ISO and exposure compensations
- Using Program Shift mode
- Exploring Autofocus
- Focusing manually
- Shooting in Continuous (burst) mode
- Switching between metering modes
- Shooting with flash
- Shooting video
Skill Level Beginner
1. Quick Start
2. A Closer Look
3. Shooting in Program Auto Exposure Mode
4. Exploring Autofocus
5. Understanding Shutter-Release Modes
6. Understanding Exposure Controls
7. Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.