Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding focus points and autofocus, part of Up and Running with the Canon Rebel SL1 (100D and Kiss X7).
- When you look out onto a scene, your eyes need to focus.…Typically, you'll choose one place to focus on.…Your camera works the same way.…The autofocus mechanism can focus…at one particular distance in your scene.…If working properly,…that point should line up with your subject.…Your camera includes a number of focus points.…The camera will try to automatically identify…which one of these points, or multiple points,…are overlapping with your subject.…However, this process isn't always perfect.…
Sometimes you'll need to override this automatic mechanism…and choose the focus point manually…to force the camera to focus at a particular place.…To change modes, press the Autofocus Point Selection button.…You can then use the dial…or the cross keys to select a point.…You can't manually change these points…if you're shooting with the basic zone mode,…like Auto or Creative Auto.…If all the points are lit up, then your camera will choose…automatically the correct focus point based on contrast.…
Press the Set button to toggle…
Want to get up and running even faster? Check out the "Quick Start" chapter to learn how to use your 100D straight out of the box.
- Reviewing the lens controls
- Changing image format and size
- Adjusting ISO and exposure compensations
- Using Program Shift mode
- Exploring Autofocus
- Focusing manually
- Shooting in Continuous (burst) mode
- Switching between metering modes
- Shooting with flash
- Shooting video
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Quick Start
2. A Closer Look
3. Shooting in Program Auto Exposure Mode
4. Exploring Autofocus
5. Understanding Shutter-Release Modes
6. Understanding Exposure Controls
7. Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.