Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Touring the viewfinder, part of Up and Running with the Canon Rebel SL1 (100D and Kiss X7).
- View Offline
- When you use the viewfinder,…you're actually looking through the same lens…that's going to expose the sensor.…This can give you a fairly clear view…of your scene.…The viewfinder can also give you a lot of status information…about the scene to help you make the right decisions.…Let's start outside the viewfinder.…One control that's important to understand is the diopter.…This is useful if you wear glasses…and want to remove them for shooting.…You may be able to adjust the diopter…to compensate when shooting.…Rotate the small knob to focus on the viewfinder.…Keep in mind, it's also pretty easy…to bump the diopter accidentally.…
If you think that your camera…is having problems auto focusing very well,…I recommend you check the diopter…and make sure that it's not set…for any correction to the image.…Inside the viewfinder,…there's a lot of additional information…overlaid that can be helpful as you make a photo.…You'll see nine focusing points superimposed…over your image.…These points will light up when you auto focus…
Want to get up and running even faster? Check out the "Quick Start" chapter to learn how to use your 100D straight out of the box.
- Reviewing the lens controls
- Changing image format and size
- Adjusting ISO and exposure compensations
- Using Program Shift mode
- Exploring Autofocus
- Focusing manually
- Shooting in Continuous (burst) mode
- Switching between metering modes
- Shooting with flash
- Shooting video
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Quick Start
2. A Closer Look
3. Shooting in Program Auto Exposure Mode
4. Exploring Autofocus
5. Understanding Shutter-Release Modes
6. Understanding Exposure Controls
7. Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.