Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Shooting in special scene modes, part of Up and Running with the Canon Rebel SL1 (100D and Kiss X7).
- If you'd like to strike the balance between auto…and more advanced modes,…your camera offers 10 different special scene modes.…Each mode influences the camera's decision-making process,…making it more optimized for certain shooting situations.…You could choose the foremost common scene modes directly…by turning the mode dial.…To access the other six, set the dial to "Scene,"…and press the Quick Control button.…Use the Cross Keys to select the desired shooting mode icon.…To change the shooting mode, you can rotate the main dial…or tap the screen.…
Press "Set" to apply the shooting style.…Scene modes don't really unlock any special features.…Rather, they're more like recipes.…They make it easier by choosing the right menu options:…shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and flash performance.…Keep in mind that most scene modes will force you…to shoot JPG files.…These are heavily compressed images…that permanently apply settings to the files.…You won't be able to use RAW for capturing the scene,…which could be pretty limiting.…
Want to get up and running even faster? Check out the "Quick Start" chapter to learn how to use your 100D straight out of the box.
- Reviewing the lens controls
- Changing image format and size
- Adjusting ISO and exposure compensations
- Using Program Shift mode
- Exploring Autofocus
- Focusing manually
- Shooting in Continuous (burst) mode
- Switching between metering modes
- Shooting with flash
- Shooting video
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Quick Start
2. A Closer Look
3. Shooting in Program Auto Exposure Mode
4. Exploring Autofocus
5. Understanding Shutter-Release Modes
6. Understanding Exposure Controls
7. Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.