Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Manual mode, part of Up and Running with the Canon Rebel SL1 (100D and Kiss X7).
- If you need total control,…it might be time to shoot in manual mode.…For example, when I shoot video or time lapse,…I'll generally use the manual mode…to dial in the correct settings.…This way the camera will shoot in the method that I specify…and not make any changes over time.…The manual mode gives you complete control…over both shutter speed and aperture.…And what's going to be used here…is that these setting become locked.…Now, your camera's light meter will still work.…It's going to provide you feedback…on the exposure of the scene,…but the camera won't make any changes…to the shutter speed or aperture.…
Rather those changes are up to you.…To switch to manual mode, turn the mode dial to "M."…The last settings you used will be shown.…Use the main dial to change the shutter speed.…Hold down the exposure compensation button…and turn the main dial again to adjust aperture.…You notice in this case the shot is metering as overexposed.…To balance this out, I can change one of two settings.…First off, I want to change the F-stop…
Want to get up and running even faster? Check out the "Quick Start" chapter to learn how to use your 100D straight out of the box.
- Reviewing the lens controls
- Changing image format and size
- Adjusting ISO and exposure compensations
- Using Program Shift mode
- Exploring Autofocus
- Focusing manually
- Shooting in Continuous (burst) mode
- Switching between metering modes
- Shooting with flash
- Shooting video
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Quick Start
2. A Closer Look
3. Shooting in Program Auto Exposure Mode
4. Exploring Autofocus
5. Understanding Shutter-Release Modes
6. Understanding Exposure Controls
7. Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.