Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Lens controls, part of Up and Running with the Canon Rebel SL1 (100D and Kiss X7).
- View Offline
- Your camera has a lot of controls on it…and so do the lenses that you'll use.…If you're using a zoom lens, you can actually…turn this ring here to adjust the focal length,…and you'll see the numbers there.…Additionally, some lenses support manual focus.…Now I can turn this here and this will manually focus,…but I don't have any feedback with marks.…But this lens that you're seeing here…does provide that level of feedback…So it's really a matter of which controls do you need.…An important switch on the side here,…is this one here that goes from AF to MF.…
Switch it to AF for autofocus.…This might also just be labeled A.…And MF or M for manual focus.…This will then enable that front focus ring…if you want to dial in focus by hand.…You may also see a switch for stabilization.…This could be labeled stabilizer or…IS for image stabilizer.…This is a really helpful feature for shooting hand held.…I recommend you turn that on if you are shooting hand held.…If you're going to be putting it on a tripod…or setting the camera down,…
Want to get up and running even faster? Check out the "Quick Start" chapter to learn how to use your 100D straight out of the box.
- Reviewing the lens controls
- Changing image format and size
- Adjusting ISO and exposure compensations
- Using Program Shift mode
- Exploring Autofocus
- Focusing manually
- Shooting in Continuous (burst) mode
- Switching between metering modes
- Shooting with flash
- Shooting video
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Quick Start
2. A Closer Look
3. Shooting in Program Auto Exposure Mode
4. Exploring Autofocus
5. Understanding Shutter-Release Modes
6. Understanding Exposure Controls
7. Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.