Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Focusing manually, part of Up and Running with the Canon Rebel SL1 (100D and Kiss X7).
- While I usually use autofocus,…I sometimes find myself shooting manually.…Perhaps it's because I'm shooting video,…and I want to adjust the focus in the middle…of a shot to deal with a moving subject.…Or perhaps that moving subject can't be tracked…with autofocus and I might want to manipulate…focus for shallow depth of field…or to get a softly focused image for aesthetic reasons.…When shooting time lapse, I'll typically set…it to autofocus and get the initial focus.…But then turn it off, so that the camera…doesn't make any changes in between shots.…
Of course, if there's too little light,…you may need to manually focus anyway.…If you're using a lens that has a switch,…you should set that to M for manual,…turn the focus ring to adjust focus.…To help you focus, here are a few tips.…You can use the zoom in button to see a…larger image on the live view display.…This can make focusing easier.…Some lenses also have focus markings that…indicate exactly what distance you're focused at.…This is measured from the focal plane mark…
Want to get up and running even faster? Check out the "Quick Start" chapter to learn how to use your 100D straight out of the box.
- Reviewing the lens controls
- Changing image format and size
- Adjusting ISO and exposure compensations
- Using Program Shift mode
- Exploring Autofocus
- Focusing manually
- Shooting in Continuous (burst) mode
- Switching between metering modes
- Shooting with flash
- Shooting video
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Quick Start
2. A Closer Look
3. Shooting in Program Auto Exposure Mode
4. Exploring Autofocus
5. Understanding Shutter-Release Modes
6. Understanding Exposure Controls
7. Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.