Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Autofocus basics, part of Up and Running with the Canon Rebel SL1 (100D and Kiss X7).
- View Offline
- One of your camera's most remarkable features…is its ability to automatically focus.…This is often faster and more accurate…than you could do by hand.…Keep in mind, though, that auto focus isn't perfect,…and you may need to adjust the settings…to get the result you want, or even turn it off…from time to time, if it's acting up.…Be sure to watch Ben Long's course called,…Foundations of Photography: Exposure…to learn more about shooting with auto focus.…In order to get good results with auto focus,…you need to know how to use it.…
After framing a shot,…I press my shutter button halfway down.…There is a halfway point that I can feel.…The camera will also auto focus.…When this process is complete,…the camera shows you the exposure settings it thinks…are right, such as shutter speed and aperture for the scene.…This information will show up on the viewfinder…and on the monitor screen.…When ready, the focus indicator will also light up,…and the camera makes a small beep.…(beep)…Now, press the shutter the rest of the way to fire the shot.…
Want to get up and running even faster? Check out the "Quick Start" chapter to learn how to use your 100D straight out of the box.
- Reviewing the lens controls
- Changing image format and size
- Adjusting ISO and exposure compensations
- Using Program Shift mode
- Exploring Autofocus
- Focusing manually
- Shooting in Continuous (burst) mode
- Switching between metering modes
- Shooting with flash
- Shooting video
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Quick Start
2. A Closer Look
3. Shooting in Program Auto Exposure Mode
4. Exploring Autofocus
5. Understanding Shutter-Release Modes
6. Understanding Exposure Controls
7. Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.