Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Aperture Priority mode, part of Up and Running with the Canon Rebel SL1 (100D and Kiss X7).
- One of my favorite shooting modes is aperture-priority,…and this mode is most useful because…it allows you precise control over aperture.…For example, you can dial in the aperture that you want…to control the depth of field,…and then the camera will automatically calculate…and select the right shutter speed for a proper exposure.…To shoot in is aperture-priority mode,…turn the dial to the Av setting, for aperture value.…I find this mode quite useful when shooting portraits,…and I really want to control…the blurring of the background.…Aperture-priority lets you choose…any aperture that your lens supports.…
To change the aperture, just turn the main dial.…To judge the effects of changing aperture,…be sure to press the depth of field preview button.…When you hold this button down,…the lens will stop down to show you the correct aperture,…and show how it's going to impact the depth of field.…If the shutter speed is blinking in aperture-priority,…it means you need to adjust the aperture setting…to compensate for exposure problems.…
Want to get up and running even faster? Check out the "Quick Start" chapter to learn how to use your 100D straight out of the box.
- Reviewing the lens controls
- Changing image format and size
- Adjusting ISO and exposure compensations
- Using Program Shift mode
- Exploring Autofocus
- Focusing manually
- Shooting in Continuous (burst) mode
- Switching between metering modes
- Shooting with flash
- Shooting video
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Quick Start
2. A Closer Look
3. Shooting in Program Auto Exposure Mode
4. Exploring Autofocus
5. Understanding Shutter-Release Modes
6. Understanding Exposure Controls
7. Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.