- [Instructor] When you're working with an API … or other external data, … ideally it's going to be super fast and no one will notice. … But in reality, connections can be slow, … so it's a good idea to plan for that. … In this video, we're going to look at conditional rendering, … setting up a loader animation that will display … while our page waits for its live data. … Right now, when we load this page. … I'll refresh it. … And it's pretty much instantaneously showing … the information from our API. … We never even see what's here before these messages appear. … Back in our code, … let's jump down to the StatusMessageList component, … using Command + Shift + O. … StatusMessageList, here we go. … Right now, the way this works is … we have the static data, … here in stubStatuses, … which is used first. … And then after the component renders, … we retrieve our status messages. … Let's get rid of these stubStatuses. … We're going to stop using them … and just use the data from the API. …
- Installing React on an existing site
- Thinking about a design in terms of components
- Creating fully-featured function components using Hooks
- Storing and retrieving data from an external RESTful API
- Employing third-party components for CSS animation
- Using conditional rendering
Skill Level Intermediate
Essentials of CSS for React Developerswith Eric Greene53m 31s Beginner
Using the exercise files1m 2s
1. Introducing React
2. First Project: Customizer
3. Second Project: Directory Browser
4. Third Project: Status Updater
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.