There are also methods in the updating lifecycle that can be used to enhance the application. Eve focuses specifically on adding makeAdmin and removeAdmin methods, then adds componentWillUpdate to set the style. The shouldComponentUpdate is useful to make sure you update all the right things in the app.
- [Instructor] Now let's incorporate some updating…lifecycle methods into our MemberList component.…Now the first place I actually want to start…is with our Index.js file.…I don't want to render the MemberList anymore here,…I want to go back to rendering routes.…So we're going to render routes,…we're going to get rid of this import statement,…and then we're going to go ahead…and import our routes from routes.…And then we should see our page refresh here,…and everything is appearing in context.…
So over in our MemberList component,…we added the componentDidMount method,…but now we need to add some updating lifecycle methods.…So the first thing I want to add here is administrators,…and administrators is going to contain an array of members…that are currently listed as administrators.…So we're going to create a couple different functions…that will help us process this.…Number one is our makeAdmin function.…
And the second is our removeAdmin function.…So let's go ahead and bind "this" for both of these.…So we're going to makeAdmin.bind…
- Refactoring elements with JSX
- Transpiling with Babel
- Creating components
- Adding component properties and methods
- Displaying child components
- Working with props and state
- Setting up routes
- Nesting routes
- Creating forms
- Understanding the component life cycle
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 09/19/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: setting up Chrome tools for React, inspecting React sites, Babel static transpiling with babel-cli, loading JSON with webpack, adding CSS to webpack build, and creating components with createClass(). In addition, a new video was added that covers migrating to webpack 3.
Building an App with React.js and MeteorJSwith Emmanuel Henri4h 20m Intermediate
Building a Polling App with Socket IO and React.jswith Alex Banks3h 56m Intermediate
1. What Is React.js?
2. Intro to JSX and Babel
3. React Components
4. Props and State
5. Using the React Router
6. Forms and Refs
7. The Component Lifecycle
Next steps1m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.