Since React is a small library, it doesn't give us absolutely everything we need to build apps. There is a huge ecosystem of tools available to us so that we don't have to build everything from scratch that React doesn't cover. Eve installs react-icons from npm and shows how to incorporate icons into your project.
- [Instructor] I've mentioned before that react…is a library not a framework.…What distinguishes libraries from frameworks…is that libraries are intentionally pretty small.…But if you need something in your app…that react doesn't provide it's highly likely…that someone else has built it.…One community tool that I particularly like is react icons.…Now if you go to the homepage of react icons,…you can get information on how to install.…Installation is pretty easy with npm, and then once…we import them into our application,…we can render them within components.…
So I'm going to go to my terminal window, and install this.…I'm going to use npm install dash save react hyphen icons.…This should install this to our dependencies…so that we can import them into our app.…Excellent.…The next thing I'm going to do here is over in sublime,…I'm going to import these.…First, I'm going to import terrain from react icons.…The good thing about using react icons is…that we can specifically ask for just the icons…that we want.…
Now there are a ton of these.…
- Refactoring elements with JSX
- Transpiling with Babel
- Creating components
- Adding component properties and methods
- Displaying child components
- Working with props and state
- Setting up routes
- Nesting routes
- Creating forms
- Understanding the component life cycle
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 09/19/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: setting up Chrome tools for React, inspecting React sites, Babel static transpiling with babel-cli, loading JSON with webpack, adding CSS to webpack build, and creating components with createClass(). In addition, a new video was added that covers migrating to webpack 3.
Q: This course was updated on 06/20/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover staying up to date with React and using create-react-app. In addition, the following topics were updated: creating components with createClass() and working with state.
Building a Polling App with Socket IO and React.jswith Alex Banks3h 56m Intermediate
1. What Is React.js?
2. Intro to JSX and Babel
3. React Components
4. Props and State
5. Using the React Router
6. Forms and Refs
7. The Component Lifecycle
Next steps New56s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.