This video provides an overview of the exercise files.
- [Instructor] If you have access to the exercise files, I'm going to show you, specifically for React Native, the steps that you need to do in order to use the exercise files. Keep in mind that the courses folder will be created in a future video, but we need to have it on the screen right now to show you how to use the exercise files. In this video, we'll go over the steps that you need to do in order to make any of the exercise files work in your current project. So, in theory you should have your course's project already initialized, like so.
So you should have these files. The next thing you need to do to add any of the code from the exercise files so you open the exercise files and inside of it there's chapters which corresponds to the chapter on the videos and once you click on any of them you'll have the specific videos that are related to the ones that you are watching. So if you are on video two of chapter three, this is the exercise files that you will be using.
Inside of those you have a start state and an end state, which means that once we start video two of chapter three, we start at this point and then when we're done, this is the end state. So, just for the example here, we'll use the end state of this particular chapter and then copy and paste those files into our current project here, so apply to all, replace, and we've copied the exercise files.
So, right now, if I start the project, it wouldn't work, so we need to do three steps in order to run the project and make sure it runs with the exercise files. The first thing you need to do because sometimes there are dependencies that are involved with a specific video, we need to install the dependencies, so we'll go into our console, or command prompt for our Windows folks, and make sure you are in the right directory where your React Native project is and then we'll do an NPM install.
Perfect, the next thing you need to do is link the files and I'm going through what that means in a future video, so for now what we'll do, I'll just link it, but you'll understand what that means in a couple of videos. So, the files have been linked and now we can start the project. So react-native run-ios, and you'll project will start.
Alright, the project is built with the exercise files and this is the view of the application on chapter three, video two, so we're good. Use these same steps if you use any of the exercise files inside of your project and run these steps and you should be good to go.
- Initiating a React Native project
- Creating your data files
- Creating your React course listing view
- Creating your tab navigation
- Adding material design styles
- Finalizing your styles
- Filtering your courses for the views
- Reviewing debugging options