Join Michael Lehman for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Parse for notifications, part of Programming the Internet of Things with iOS.
- In days of yore, and here I'm talking about 2009 and 2010,…when the iPhone 3G S first came on the market,…and then the iPhone 4,…if you wanted to have a Cloud service…that supported your app, of course, it's really great…to have Cloud services that connects up to your Things…using iOS as the intermediary,…you had to build your own platform.…That required selecting a vendor.…That required writing a bunch of back-end code…to handle authentication, and then authorization,…and membership.…It was a real Wild West.…
But now there are many companies offering something called…Platform as a Service.…Among the companies offering things that integrate…really, really well with iOS,…and really great with Internet of Things…are Parse, Dropbox, Urban Airship, and Backendless.…The reason they are great for Things is because…they all offer a REST API,…and the reason they are great for iOS is because…they all offer an iOS SDK,…which means you don't have to use the REST API…when you are working in Objective-C.…Let's go ahead and take a quick look at all of these.…
- Exploring the IoT universe
- Understanding sensors and effectors
- Connecting inputs and outputs
- Connecting to devices via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
- Using Apple iBeacon
- Creating your own things with programmable hardware
- Using IFTTT to program things
- Exploring trends in IoT
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Internet of Things (IoT)
2. Exploring Things
3. Connecting to Things
4. Using Apple iBeacon
5. Creating Things
6. Managing Your Things
7. The Future of IoT
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.