Join Michael Lehman for an in-depth discussion in this video Defining things, part of Programming the Internet of Things with iOS.
- So, we've been talking about things.…Let's define what we mean by a thing…in the internet of things.…It means it has sensors and/or effectors.…Sensors are things like thermometers, light sensors,…microphones, motion detectors, accelerometers.…Effectors are things like motors, and LEDs,…and IR LEDs for controlling televisions,…and relays for being able to control…high voltage electronic devices and so forth.…
Everything has to have some kind…of computational capability.…But it doesn't mean it has to have a computer…that's as powerful as the one in your IOS device.…It needs to be able to sample the data…from the sensors, if you have any.…And command the effectors, if you have any,…to make your device do something.…It also needs to be able to connect up to the radio.…Which means, it needs to be able…to have a communication channel...…so that it can communicate using WiFi,…Bluetooth, some proprietary RF.…
But some mechanism, so that it can connect up…to the internet, otherwise, it wouldn't be a thing…on the internet of things.…
- Exploring the IoT universe
- Understanding sensors and effectors
- Connecting inputs and outputs
- Connecting to devices via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
- Using Apple iBeacon
- Creating your own things with programmable hardware
- Using IFTTT to program things
- Exploring trends in IoT
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Internet of Things (IoT)
2. Exploring Things
3. Connecting to Things
4. Using Apple iBeacon
5. Creating Things
6. Managing Your Things
7. The Future of IoT
Next steps3m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.