- [Voiceover] So why use Shiny? You might be interested in using Shiny because you want to make an interactive application which allows people to explore a data set of yours or to understand a model that you've built inside of R, and its dependency on different parameters. And that's what Shiny's for, for making interactive data visualizations and applications using the R language. So, before we use Shiny, we should understand what is Shiny? Well, it's a framework for building interactive applications using the R language.
It's an R library installed on your local machine for creating interactive apps. And it's also a server side application. This might sound quite technical, but it's not. We essentially think of there being two different places that we might want to use a Shiny application. We might want to use a Shiny application on our local machine, or through the web browser. So if you've written a Shiny app to visualize your data interactively, and you want to show that in a conference presentation, then you may want to leave it on your local machine.
In that case, all you need is RStudio and the R library, Shiny. And you can have a local instance of your Shiny app. If, however, you want to make your Shiny app available to other people through the web browser, then you'd need to use a hosting platform, like shinyapps.io, that has the the Shiny Server Application installed on it. So, in summary, Shiny's really useful if you have R script or visualization that you want to make interactive.
This is an exciting course for analysts who want to increase the relevance and visibility of their work. Make sure to watch the knowledge checks at the end of each chapter to test your new skills.
- Explain the benefits associated with RStudio.
- List the options for creating HTML R Markdown presentations.
- Use RPubs to publish and share presentations through Twitter, Google+, and Facebook.
- Prepare and share an interactive application with Shiny.
- Name the three different layout options available with the Shiny app.
- Compare the different Shinyapps.io accounts to determine which one fits your needs.