In this video, Mark Niemann-Ross demonstrates how to write R data structures into an existing Excel range. Learn how to integrate R data with Excel.
- [Instructor] If you're working with a team,…it's not going to be uncommon for you to have to…write your data into someone else's workbook.…And to do that, it's very convenient to be able to…write to a range rather than to an entire worksheet,…or to overwrite a large amount of data.…R provides a way to do that.…The easiest way to do this is to use the open Excel SX…package, create a range, read the file, create the range,…and then save the file back out.…
So let's take a look at those three steps.…The first thing I want to do is create data…that I want to write out to that Excel workbook.…So I'm going to create a small table for range,…and this is just a simple data frame…that contains this thing, that thing, and another thing.…Now I need to bring in the workbook that I want…to add data to, and to do that I'll use open Excel SX,…if you haven't already installed the package, do so,…and use the library command to make that package active.…
Now I'm going to bring that file in and put it into…working Excel SX, it doesn't matter what you name it,…
- Name the three types of big data.
- List three considerations used to determine the appropriate R package for Excel.
- Determine the best package used to import entire Excel workbooks.
- Explain how to import standard text files using base R and tidyverse.
- Define the purpose of the foreign language package for R.
- Recognize restrictions when working on SAS files in the foreign language package.
- Identify the problems involved with extracting data from a PDF in R.
Skill Level Intermediate
R Programming in Data Science: High Volume Datawith Mark Niemann-Ross1h 25m Intermediate
1. Use R with Excel
2. Importing Text Files
3. Understanding the Foreign Package
4. Use R with Popular Data Formats
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.