Join Mark Niemann-Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Walking getpendoreille_factored.R, part of Code Clinic: R (2015).
- Let's go ahead and step through…and see what actually happens to this program.…We'll start with getpendoreille_factored.R.…So I'm going to open that up…in the source window for R Studio…and I'm going to expand that window…so we can see more of the code.…We're starting here at the very top on line 1.…The first line is the function declaration.…This is what functions look like in R.…First of all, it declares the name of the function…and then it says that I'm going to put…in that actual variable name, a function.…R happens to be a functional programming language.…
It means that I can assign a function into a variable.…This is something that may be a little unusual…if you're used to non-functional languages.…In this case we can see that this function has a start date…and an end date.…Line 2, 3, and 4, are just good programming practices.…Always insert comments to say what you're doing…or what kind of things you're looking for…or what packages you require.…In this case I note that the start date and end date…are in the format of year, year, year, year,…
Mark introduces challenges and then provides an overview of his solutions in R. Challenges include topics such as statistical analysis, searching directories for images, and accessing peripheral devices.
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: R Studio tells me that it can't find files I expect to be available. Where can I find them?
A: Use the setwd() command to set the working directory to match the folder you're working in.
Q: I am unable to access the Lake Pend Oreille data from outside the U.S.
A: A static copy of this data is provided here for lynda.com members outside of the U.S.
1. Problem One: Statistical Analysis
2. Problem Two: Image Analysis
3. Problem Three: Eight Queens
4. Accessing Peripherals
5. Recursion and Directories
Walking the directory sort code10m 56s
6. Building the Web
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.