In this video, Mark Niemann-Ross demonstrates working with tab-delimited files in R. Learn how to effectively import and export tab-delimited files with base R and the tidyverse using read.table and read_table.
- [Instructor] Tab-delimited files…are another common format for data interchange.…Each field in the file is separated by a tab character.…Let's look at how to import that into R.…First, I've created a vector called sampleTDF,…which contains the path name to a tab-delimited file…called LPO weather dot tdf.…Now, reading this is fairly simple.…I'm going to create a vector…that I'm going to read this data into.…We'll call it readTableTDF…and into that I'm going to use…the read dot table command from base R…sampleTDF, which is the vector to the file name…and I hit return and you can see that…I now have in the upper right hand corner…a readTableTDF of 100 observations of nine variables…and we can take a quick look at what that looks like.…
So what we're looking at is exactly what you might expect.…Well, almost.…I'll draw your attention to the names of…the columns V1, V2, V3, V4.…The first row is actually what should be…the names of the columns.…So we need to tell readTable to use…the first line as a header and we can do that by typing in…
- Name the three types of big data.
- List three considerations used to determine the appropriate R package for Excel.
- Determine the best package used to import entire Excel workbooks.
- Explain how to import standard text files using base R and tidyverse.
- Define the purpose of the foreign language package for R.
- Recognize restrictions when working on SAS files in the foreign language package.
- Identify the problems involved with extracting data from a PDF in R.
Skill Level Intermediate
R Programming in Data Science: High Volume Datawith Mark Niemann-Ross1h 25m Intermediate
1. Use R with Excel
2. Importing Text Files
3. Understanding the Foreign Package
4. Use R with Popular Data Formats
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.