Join Mark Niemann-Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Overview of my solution, part of Code Clinic: R.
- With Eight Queens, there are two approaches…to solving the problem.…The first is referred to as the Explicit solution.…It considers only workable solutions,…and synthesizes the placement of a Queen on the board.…The Explicit solution is typically faster…than the Brute Force method,…which considers all possible solutions,…and then filters out the unworkable solutions.…Brute Force is typically slower.…Now, I've used the Brute Force approach,…because it's a bit easier to understand.…
At some point in my free time,…I may come back and solve using an (mumbles) rhythm…and the Explicit method.…Here's how my solution works.…It's done in three steps.…The first thing I do is consider…all of the Columns on the chess board,…and make sure I don't have any Queens…sharing the same Column.…The second consideration is all of the Rows.…I want to make sure that I don't have…two Queens in the same Row.…The third thing I do is consider the Diagonals.…There are three steps to my solution.…
Columns, Rows, and Diagonal.…When we look at the code for eightQueensBruteForce.R,…
Mark introduces challenges and then provides an overview of his solutions in R. Challenges include topics such as statistical analysis, searching directories for images, and accessing peripheral devices.
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: R Studio tells me that it can't find files I expect to be available. Where can I find them?
A: Use the setwd() command to set the working directory to match the folder you're working in.
Q: I am unable to access the Lake Pend Oreille data from outside the U.S.
A: A static copy of this data is provided here for lynda.com members outside of the U.S.
R Statistics Essential Trainingwith Barton Poulson5h 59m Intermediate
1. Problem One: Statistical Analysis
2. Problem Two: Image Analysis
3. Problem Three: Eight Queens
4. Accessing Peripherals
5. Recursion and Directories
Walking the directory sort code10m 56s
6. Building the Web
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.