Join Mark Niemann-Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Overview of my solution, part of Code Clinic: R (2015).
- The first thing I do with any problem…is determine what data is being supplied…and what solution is being asked for.…In this case, the data is supplied as text files…on Lake Pend Oreille Navy website.…We can see these files by clicking on the raw data link.…Here we have data for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.…These are raw text files and they're separated out…into years of observation.…I'm going to move to R Studio.…
Let's import one of those data sets.…I'll use R Studio and I've copied the URL…for one of the text files.…I hit OK, and R Studio downloads the data…and opens it up.…R Studio gives us a chance to determine…what kind of file this is.…I know that the separator happens to be…Whitespace and when I go ahead and import that…R Studio now shows us the file that we've now imported.…
You'll notice that each row actually referred to as…an observation has a number of columns,…also called variables, and here we can see a column…for air temperature, barometric pressure, and dew point.…These files each contain a year's worth of data…
Mark introduces challenges and then provides an overview of his solutions in R. Challenges include topics such as statistical analysis, searching directories for images, and accessing peripheral devices.
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: R Studio tells me that it can't find files I expect to be available. Where can I find them?
A: Use the setwd() command to set the working directory to match the folder you're working in.
Q: I am unable to access the Lake Pend Oreille data from outside the U.S.
A: A static copy of this data is provided here for lynda.com members outside of the U.S.
1. Problem One: Statistical Analysis
2. Problem Two: Image Analysis
3. Problem Three: Eight Queens
4. Accessing Peripherals
5. Recursion and Directories
Walking the directory sort code10m 56s
6. Building the Web
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.