In this video, Mark Niemann-Ross demonstrates how to import and export data contained in LibreOffice and OpenOffice worksheet files. Learn how to import data contained in ODS files into R using the readODS package. for R
- [Instructor] ODS is a spreadsheet from LibreOffice…or OpenOffice, and you'll need a special package…called Read ODS, which contains both a Read ODS function…as well as a Write ODS function.…So let's start off with that, you'll need…to install the package if you haven't already,…use install.packages, ReadODS, and then use…the library command to bring it in.…Now I've created a sample vector, ODSSampleFile…which points to an OpenOffice sheet in these sample files…and I have to find that, we'll use that.…
Reading an ODS file is simple.…You set up a vector you want to read it into,…so in this case I'll create a vector called DffromODS…and into it, I'll store the results of read_ODS.…Now surprisingly you can use Read.ODS…or Read_ODS, both of them point to the same thing.…I'll specify what file I want to read,…in this case ODSSampleFile, and I hit Command + Return…and I now have a DFfromODS, it's a standard data frame,…it's exactly what you'd expect from importing…a spreadsheet.…
Writing an ODS is almost as simple, unless you're…
- Name the three types of big data.
- List three considerations used to determine the appropriate R package for Excel.
- Determine the best package used to import entire Excel workbooks.
- Explain how to import standard text files using base R and tidyverse.
- Define the purpose of the foreign language package for R.
- Recognize restrictions when working on SAS files in the foreign language package.
- Identify the problems involved with extracting data from a PDF in R.
Skill Level Intermediate
R Programming in Data Science: High Volume Datawith Mark Niemann-Ross1h 25m Intermediate
1. Use R with Excel
2. Importing Text Files
3. Understanding the Foreign Package
4. Use R with Popular Data Formats
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.