In this video, Mark Niemann-Ross demonstrates importing data contained in HTML files. Learn how to use the xml2 package to import data contained in HTML files.
- [Instructor] Importing data stored as HTML into R…is more problematic than you might think.…It's easy enough to get the data into R,…once it's in R, working with it is a little bit…more confusing, let's take a look.…By the way, if you're looking at writing HTML,…there are several other packages that will allow you…to write a data frame out to HTML,…including htmltidy, scrapR, and shiny.…CRAN has an entire task list that will include…all of the HTML packages that are available to you in R.…
For now, let's focus on importing an HTML file,…and to do that, you'll need to make sure to install…the xml2 package, if you haven't done so already,…and then use the library command…to make it available to you.…Now, I've selected a very long URL, it's at NASA.…Let's take a quick look at that.…This is the NASA Near Earth Object database,…and it contains lots of information…about objects orbiting Earth, and it includes a nice table…that we would really like to analyze inside of R.…
So let's bring that in.…To bring the NASA Near-Earth orbit database into R,…
- Name the three types of big data.
- List three considerations used to determine the appropriate R package for Excel.
- Determine the best package used to import entire Excel workbooks.
- Explain how to import standard text files using base R and tidyverse.
- Define the purpose of the foreign language package for R.
- Recognize restrictions when working on SAS files in the foreign language package.
- Identify the problems involved with extracting data from a PDF in R.
Skill Level Intermediate
R Programming in Data Science: High Volume Datawith Mark Niemann-Ross1h 25m Intermediate
1. Use R with Excel
2. Importing Text Files
3. Understanding the Foreign Package
4. Use R with Popular Data Formats
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.