Click, hover, and double-click events in Plotly maps may easily be extracted in Shiny apps.
- [Instructor] Shiny allows interactive web applications…to be built using the R language.…Let's see how we can embed a plotly htmlwidget inside…of a Shiny app and extract the click information from it.…To start, let's see the skeleton of my Shiny app.…In our exercise files, let's open server.R.…I'll minimize the environment…because I don't need to see it for now.…We can see inside of the renderPlotly function,…lines 12 through 27 generate me a ggplot object…which I store against gg_facet_weather,…and then we can see we used a function ggplotly…to convert the static ggplot2 visualization…into an interactive plotly chart.…
Let's view this Shiny app by clicking Run App,…and we can see I have my facet wrapped ggplot2 visualation…converted into an interactive plotly chart.…I have a tooltip and I'm also able…to zoom in on my charts as well.…The interactivity I'd like is that when I click…on one of these markers, it updates the text here to read,…clicked marker coordinates are, so on and so forth.…So, let's discuss how we extract this information…
Start by learning to manage packages and structure data for visualizations with the tidyverse and the pipe operator. Then there is an important question: Which library should you choose? The course introduces five popular options: Leaflet, Plotly, Highcharter, visNetwork, and DataTables (DT). Instructor Martin Hadley shows how to use these libraries to create scattergeo, choropleth, and geolines maps; stacked bar charts, scatter charts, bubble charts, and heat maps; treemaps and time series charts; interactive networks and graphs; and responsive, interactive data tables. Plus, learn how to customize your visualizations with legends and tooltips, and extract click information for Shiny apps.
- Installing htmlwidgets
- Selecting the best htmlwidget
- Creating interactive maps with Leaflet
- Creating interactive charts with Plotly and Highcharter
- Creating interactive networks with visNetwork
- Creating interactive tables with DT
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Interactive Presentations with Shiny and Rwith Martin Hadley1h 53m Intermediate
Data Visualization Tips and Trickswith Matt Francis2h 14m Intermediate
DC.js for Data Science Essential Trainingwith Emma Saunders5h 3m Intermediate
1. Getting Started with htmlwidgets
2. Creating Interactive Maps with Leaflet
3. Creating Interactive Charts with Plotly
4. Creating Interactive Charts with Highcharter
5. Creating Interactive Networks with visNetwork
6. Creating Interactive Tables
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.