Click, hover, and double-click events in Leaflet maps may easily be extracted in Shiny apps. Maps can be updated from Shiny inputs as well.
- [Instructor] Shiny allows interactive web applications…to be built using the R language.…Let's see how we can integrate Leaflet HTML widgets…into Shiny apps.…In the Exercise Files I have a file called server.R…and ui.R.…Let's open server.R.…Let's click Run App…and see what our Shiny app looks like.…So, our Shiny app includes a color (mumbles) of the world.…So, we have here a number of different countries.…When I hover over a country…it gives me the name of the country.…
And here I have a select input,…which apparently should allow me to remove countries…when I select them from the list here.…However, clearly it isn't yet plugged in.…It'd also be really nice…if when I clicked on a country here…it provided me information about the country I clicked…and the click coordinates from the map, as well.…Okay, so let's think about…how Leaflet communicates input objects to a Shiny app.…
Leaflet objects and Shiny apps…create additional input variables,…which we can use to extract information…from the Leaflet visualizations.…
Start by learning to manage packages and structure data for visualizations with the tidyverse and the pipe operator. Then there is an important question: Which library should you choose? The course introduces five popular options: Leaflet, Plotly, Highcharter, visNetwork, and DataTables (DT). Instructor Martin Hadley shows how to use these libraries to create scattergeo, choropleth, and geolines maps; stacked bar charts, scatter charts, bubble charts, and heat maps; treemaps and time series charts; interactive networks and graphs; and responsive, interactive data tables. Plus, learn how to customize your visualizations with legends and tooltips, and extract click information for Shiny apps.
- Installing htmlwidgets
- Selecting the best htmlwidget
- Creating interactive maps with Leaflet
- Creating interactive charts with Plotly and Highcharter
- Creating interactive networks with visNetwork
- Creating interactive tables with DT
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Interactive Presentations with Shiny and Rwith Martin Hadley1h 53m Intermediate
Data Visualization Tips and Trickswith Matt Francis2h 14m Intermediate
DC.js for Data Science Essential Trainingwith Emma Saunders5h 3m Intermediate
1. Getting Started with htmlwidgets
2. Creating Interactive Maps with Leaflet
3. Creating Interactive Charts with Plotly
4. Creating Interactive Charts with Highcharter
5. Creating Interactive Networks with visNetwork
6. Creating Interactive Tables
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.