Wide formatted data frames are advised for bar charts. Data can be converted from long to wide via the gather function.
- [Instructor] Scatter charts, line charts,…and bubble charts are very useful charts…for visualizing a wide range of different datasets.…Let's look at how we can create these in a highcharter.…We'll open up our exercise file, scatter-and-bubble.R,…and we'll minimize the environment…because we don't need it for now.…At the top of our script file,…we can see we load the tidyverse.…We have library("tidyverse"),…which I'll run with Command + Enter,…and you'll notice, we don't actually load…the highcharter library, so let's do that.…Let's load library("highcharter").…
We'll hit Command + Enter,…and, as with every time we load the highcharter library,…we're reminded Highcharts is not free…for commercial or governmental use.…Now, to generate our scatter plot,…we need some scatter data.…So let's use read_csv to import a csv file…and store it against the variable scatter_data.…We can see printed in our console…a summary of the columns in our dataset,…and that's quite useful to just see.…We can see that there's an X column and a Y column,…
AuthorMartin John Hadley
Start by learning to manage packages and structure data for visualizations with the tidyverse and the pipe operator. Then there is an important question: Which library should you choose? The course introduces five popular options: Leaflet, Plotly, Highcharter, visNetwork, and DataTables (DT). Instructor Martin Hadley shows how to use these libraries to create scattergeo, choropleth, and geolines maps; stacked bar charts, scatter charts, bubble charts, and heat maps; treemaps and time series charts; interactive networks and graphs; and responsive, interactive data tables. Plus, learn how to customize your visualizations with legends and tooltips, and extract click information for Shiny apps.
- Installing htmlwidgets
- Selecting the best htmlwidget
- Creating interactive maps with Leaflet
- Creating interactive charts with Plotly and Highcharter
- Creating interactive networks with visNetwork
- Creating interactive tables with DT
Skill Level Intermediate
Data Visualization Tips and Trickswith Matt Francis2h 14m Intermediate
DC.js for Data Science Essential Trainingwith Emma Saunders5h 3m Intermediate
1. Getting Started with htmlwidgets
2. Creating Interactive Maps with Leaflet
3. Creating Interactive Charts with Plotly
4. Creating Interactive Charts with Highcharter
5. Creating Interactive Networks with visNetwork
6. Creating Interactive Tables
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.