Plotly has support for making choropleth, scattergeo, and basic geolines maps. There is not support for a wide range of different map tiles. Options for projections, etc. are limited.
- [Instructor] Plotly allows us to make two types…of interactive maps, scattergeo plots and choropleth.…Plotly is slightly limited in the types of map…that can be used to generate,…as we may only use built in country and state shape files.…Let's see how we can go about building these charts…in our exercise files, so let's begin with,…I'm going to open the scatter-geo.R file in the exercise files.…Let's just minimize the environment because I don't need…to see it here, and at the top of the script file,…we can see that we load first…the tidyverse library with command enter,…and then on line two, we load the oidnCharts library,…which I've run with command enter.…
oidnCharts prints out a message telling us…that oidnCharts provides a number of templates…for comparing htmlwidgets.…We must separately load each htmlwidget before we use it.…Let's do that on line three.…Let's type library("plotly") and hit command enter.…On line four through six,…we're manipulating a data_scatter_geo object.…Let's have a look at that before we manipulate it.…
Start by learning to manage packages and structure data for visualizations with the tidyverse and the pipe operator. Then there is an important question: Which library should you choose? The course introduces five popular options: Leaflet, Plotly, Highcharter, visNetwork, and DataTables (DT). Instructor Martin Hadley shows how to use these libraries to create scattergeo, choropleth, and geolines maps; stacked bar charts, scatter charts, bubble charts, and heat maps; treemaps and time series charts; interactive networks and graphs; and responsive, interactive data tables. Plus, learn how to customize your visualizations with legends and tooltips, and extract click information for Shiny apps.
- Installing htmlwidgets
- Selecting the best htmlwidget
- Creating interactive maps with Leaflet
- Creating interactive charts with Plotly and Highcharter
- Creating interactive networks with visNetwork
- Creating interactive tables with DT
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Interactive Presentations with Shiny and Rwith Martin Hadley1h 53m Intermediate
Data Visualization Tips and Trickswith Matt Francis2h 14m Intermediate
DC.js for Data Science Essential Trainingwith Emma Saunders5h 3m Intermediate
1. Getting Started with htmlwidgets
2. Creating Interactive Maps with Leaflet
3. Creating Interactive Charts with Plotly
4. Creating Interactive Charts with Highcharter
5. Creating Interactive Networks with visNetwork
6. Creating Interactive Tables
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.