visLayout provides access to layouts from the vis.js library. visIgraphLayout allows igraph layout algorithms to be used. Explicitly laying out nodes within an igraph object and using visIgraph provides the greatest freedom.
- [Instructor] VisNetwork is an excellent HTML widget…for building interactive drawings or graph,…but I think it's quite important to understand a little bit…about the theory of graph drawing…or the visualization of networks…and how a viewer might understand them.…There are many different graph layout algorithms…that are used to decide how to layout nodes…and the edges between them…Many of these layouts are non-deterministic.…Meaning that a physics simulation has been run…to iteratively decide how to place nodes in the network.…
This means that typically graphs look different…from computer to computer,…and a graph will never look the same on your own computer,…unless you use the exact same random seed.…Many people who are unfamiliar with graph theory…believe there was a correct way or particular view…of a network,…which best represents the data,…but it's really important to note…that graph layout can be misleading.…I'm going to show you how to make these networks…in a few minutes,…but I want you to understand…deciding how to layout networks is an art,…
Start by learning to manage packages and structure data for visualizations with the tidyverse and the pipe operator. Then there is an important question: Which library should you choose? The course introduces five popular options: Leaflet, Plotly, Highcharter, visNetwork, and DataTables (DT). Instructor Martin Hadley shows how to use these libraries to create scattergeo, choropleth, and geolines maps; stacked bar charts, scatter charts, bubble charts, and heat maps; treemaps and time series charts; interactive networks and graphs; and responsive, interactive data tables. Plus, learn how to customize your visualizations with legends and tooltips, and extract click information for Shiny apps.
- Installing htmlwidgets
- Selecting the best htmlwidget
- Creating interactive maps with Leaflet
- Creating interactive charts with Plotly and Highcharter
- Creating interactive networks with visNetwork
- Creating interactive tables with DT
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Interactive Presentations with Shiny and Rwith Martin Hadley1h 53m Intermediate
Data Visualization Tips and Trickswith Matt Francis2h 14m Intermediate
DC.js for Data Science Essential Trainingwith Emma Saunders5h 3m Intermediate
1. Getting Started with htmlwidgets
2. Creating Interactive Maps with Leaflet
3. Creating Interactive Charts with Plotly
4. Creating Interactive Charts with Highcharter
5. Creating Interactive Networks with visNetwork
6. Creating Interactive Tables
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.