Join Martin Hadley for an in-depth discussion in this video Change map styles in Leaflet, part of R: Interactive Visualizations with htmlwidgets.
- [Instructor] When creating interactive maps,…one of the things people care about most…is how does the map look.…Are geographic features like mountains shown?…Is socio-political information…like country borders included?…Or do you simply want to a plain map…with the outline of the land masses of Earth?…Let's look at how we can customize…the appearance of maps in Leaflet.…In our exercise files, let's open up default-map-style.R.…I'm going to decrease the size of my environment…because I don't need it for this exercise.…
At the top of the script file, we load two libraries:…first is the tidyverse library for importing…and wrangling data and second is the Leaflet library…which we're going to use to create our interactive map.…I'll load this with Command + Enter…then on Line 4, I use read underscore csv…from the read.R library to import my CSV file…against the variable capital underscore cities.…Now, Lines 8 through 12 are where I've defined…my interactive map.…Let's evaluate this in steps.…
So, if I evaluate Line 8 and 9…
Start by learning to manage packages and structure data for visualizations with the tidyverse and the pipe operator. Then there is an important question: Which library should you choose? The course introduces five popular options: Leaflet, Plotly, Highcharter, visNetwork, and DataTables (DT). Instructor Martin Hadley shows how to use these libraries to create scattergeo, choropleth, and geolines maps; stacked bar charts, scatter charts, bubble charts, and heat maps; treemaps and time series charts; interactive networks and graphs; and responsive, interactive data tables. Plus, learn how to customize your visualizations with legends and tooltips, and extract click information for Shiny apps.
- Installing htmlwidgets
- Selecting the best htmlwidget
- Creating interactive maps with Leaflet
- Creating interactive charts with Plotly and Highcharter
- Creating interactive networks with visNetwork
- Creating interactive tables with DT
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Interactive Presentations with Shiny and Rwith Martin Hadley1h 53m Intermediate
Data Visualization Tips and Trickswith Matt Francis2h 14m Intermediate
DC.js for Data Science Essential Trainingwith Emma Saunders5h 3m Intermediate
1. Getting Started with htmlwidgets
2. Creating Interactive Maps with Leaflet
3. Creating Interactive Charts with Plotly
4. Creating Interactive Charts with Highcharter
5. Creating Interactive Networks with visNetwork
6. Creating Interactive Tables
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.