Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video Changing fields in a customer (or vendor) record window, part of QuickBooks Desktop: Tips and Tricks.
- Customer and vendor records come with a lot of fields. You probably won't use them all. In the New and Edit customer and vendor windows, you can choose some of the fields that appear for each customer or vendor. Let's use a customer to see how this works. I'm gonna open the customer center by clicking the customers button on the home page. But you can also open it by going to the customers menu and choosing customer center. Let's edit the first customer on the customers and jobs tab, All Kinds of Taste.
To do that, right-click the name and choose Edit Customer Job. Now, the edit customer window has some fields where there's a label and a box, but look at these eight fields in the middle of the window. They have labels that are on buttons with a down arrow. These are the fields that you can choose for each customer or vendor. The good news is the default fields are the ones you probably use most often. Main phone, work phone, mobile, fax, main e-mail, but suppose that you use different fields for this customer, All Kinds of Taste.
Maybe they're behind the times and they don't have a website, but you'd find you talk to them quite a bit using Skype. In that case, click the down arrow next to website and there's a drop down menu of all of the other fields that you can choose. I'm gonna scroll down and choose Skype ID. Then, in the box, I'll type their ID and I'm just gonna make it up. Let's say it's allkinds1234. If that's the only field that you need to change, go ahead, click OK.
Now, let's edit the second customer in the list. This time, to open up the Edit Customer window, I'm gonna double-click the name Avulon. That still opens up the Edit Customer window. Notice that, even though we changed the seventh field to Skype ID for the first customer, that doesn't change it for any other customers. So, that means, you can choose whichever fields you want for each customer or vendor. We'll suppose that Avulon does have a website.
We're gonna leave that one alone and instead, I'm gonna click the down arrow for Other 1. And I'll choose Skype ID for this customer. In the box, I'll type their ID. We'll say avulon1234 and now, this customer is edited. Go ahead and click OK. If you wanna close the customer center, head up to the top right and click the X. And that's how you display different fields in new and edit windows.
- Adding, hiding, and sorting list entries
- Changing fields in record windows
- Finding info quickly
- Numbering transactions
- Adding logos to checks
- Applying discounts and credits to bills
- Invoicing cost overruns or fixed-price jobs
- Receiving payments
- Using journal entries
- Saving time on common tasks
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 12/08/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: using Find and Search, restarting transaction numbering, sorting bills, and tracking most recent year’s earnings and earlier retained earnings separately.