Join Bonnie Biafore for an in-depth discussion in this video What you need to know, part of Learning QuickBooks Online.
- [Instructor] If you want to experiment with QuickBooks Online, you have a couple of options. In addition, you need to know Intuit does some experimenting of its own. The easiest way to try out QuickBooks Online is with an Intuit sample company. Be sure to enable cookies in your browser before you access this webpage. When you do, if you see a check box, I'm not a robot, turn it on. Now, you may have to click some images to prove to the browser that you're not a robot.
But, once you've done that, go ahead and click continue. That brings you to this sample company that you can use to experiment with QuickBooks Online. A sample company is great if you don't want to set up and Intuit account or you want to experiment with the latest features without messing up your own data. You can also sign up for a 30 day free trial. If you have a spare email address, sign up for a free trial to use QuickBooks Online while you watch this course.
To do that, on this page, click try it free. Then, on the next page, find the Buy Now button for the edition that you want and then, just below that click the link free 30 day trial. After you fill in your email address, your phone number and password, all you have to fill in for your company is the company name, how long you've been in business, and the QuickBooks Online features you want to use. When I created the sample company for this course, I turned on send and track invoices, organize your expenses, and track your bills.
I'll leave it up to you to create a sample account and company if you want to follow along. How do you get data from a desktop edition into QuickBooks Online depends on where the data is coming from and which desktop features you use. Fortunately, Intuit has a resource center to help you import your data into QuickBooks Online. On this webpage you can click this video to get an overview, then click the link for the desktop edition you use to get step by step instructions.
Another thing you need to know is that QuickBooks Online changes frequently. Every month QuickBooks Online gets new enhancements, tweaks, and bug fixes. But not everyone gets these updates at the same time. In addition, Intuit often releases updates with alternative approaches for features. Some people get alternative A, while others get alternative B. That way Intuit can determine which one works better. The bottom line, when you run through this course, what appears on your screen might differ slightly from what you see in the movies.
That's a quick peek at how to try out QuickBooks Online and why the software may behave differently than what you see in this course.
- Choosing a QuickBooks Online edition
- Setting up customers and vendors
- Setting up billable expenses and time
- Paying bills
- Creating invoices
- Handling refunds
- Depositing payments
- Handling downloaded online banking transactions
- Running and customizing reports
- Automating recurring transactions