In this video, Gordon introduces Python and how it can enable you to automate QGIS.
- [Instructor] In this video, … we're going to look at what is Python, … and how does it relate to QGIS and AEC? … Well, first of all, Python is a way … to create macros and plugins, especially within QGIS. … It's a script language for automating tasks, … such as loading data, running analysis, … even calculating areas. … Python does not get compiled. It stays as a text file. … You can open it up in Notepad. … For example, myPython.py is a text file … that you can open up. … It never gets compiled. It's always readable. … It's very unique in that it uses spaces … to understand looping and logic and if statements. … It uses spaces and tabs. … And that's how you know if something … is inside of a logic loop or not, with a space. … Now Python is usually bundled with QGIS. … That means you can run Python after QGIS is installed. … Sometimes it's good to review your packages … that are being installed when you use … the advanced install with QGIS. … So don't install the standalone QGIS package …
- Creating your first Python script
- Saving scripts
- Managing QGIS projects and layers programmatically
- Exporting geometry
- Drawing new geometry
- Importing DWG and DXF files
- Creating plugins
Skill Level Intermediate
Esri ArcGIS Maps for Creative Cloud Extensionwith Tony Harmer1h 17m Intermediate
1. Beginning Python
2. Managing Layers and Projects with Python
3. Geometry Handling
4. Importing DWG and DXF
5. Creating Plugins
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.