Recursive functions are important in programming. Learn what recursive functions are and why they are useful.
- [Instructor] Recursion means … defining something in terms of itself … to achieve your objective. … Recursion can take place in programming. … A function is called recursive … if the body of the function calls the function itself. … In other words, … the process of executing the body of a recursive function … may in turn require applying that function again. … A recursive function solves a problem … by dividing the problem into smaller subproblems … and calling the function itself to solve each subproblem. … Python supports recursion. … For example, say you want to write a function … that takes a positive integer as input … and returns the factorial of that number. … Note that in math, … the factorial of a positive integer N, … denoted by N factorial, … is the product of all positive integers … less than or equal to N. … So the factorial of one is one, … the factorial of two is two times one, … the factorial of three is three times two times one, … the factorial of four … is four times three times two times one, and so on. …
This course was created by Madecraft. We are pleased to host this content in our library.
- What is Python?
- Strengths and benefits of Python
- Types of data
- Storing data using variables
- Built-in and custom functions
- Lists and tuples
- Conditional statements
- Iteration with loops
- Recursive functions
- Object-oriented programming
Skill Level Beginner
Learning the Python 3 Standard Librarywith Kathryn Hodge2h 9m Intermediate
Python Standard Library Essential Trainingwith Joe Marini2h 18m Intermediate
1. Defining Python
2. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Data
3. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Functions
4. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Sequences
5. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Conditional Statements
6. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Iteration
7. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Recursion
Define recursive functions6m 13s
8. Quick Intro to Object-Oriented Programming in Python
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.