You may be familiar with functions in math. Functions in programming are structured similarly. Learn how to use functions to stay organized and efficient when you are coding.
- [Instructor] A programmer's main goal … is not just to solve problems through coding … but to do so efficiently. … When you're programming, you may find yourself … typing the same set of instructions … in multiple places in your program. … When you do this, it not only takes longer … for you to write and read your code, … but also takes longer for your computer … to read and follow your instructions. … That's why it's important to be concise. … One major way to be concise is to use functions. … Functions help you stay organized … and each function has a fixed purpose. … In other words, each function is meant … to perform a particular procedure … and you can write a set of instructions … needed to perform a procedure and store in a function. … So whenever you want to use this procedure in your program, … all you have to do is refer to the function you wrote. … For example, let's say my program had this section of code. … As you can see, there's a set of instructions … that shows up in multiple places, …
This course was created by Madecraft. We are pleased to host this content in our library.
- What is Python?
- Strengths and benefits of Python
- Types of data
- Storing data using variables
- Built-in and custom functions
- Lists and tuples
- Conditional statements
- Iteration with loops
- Recursive functions
- Object-oriented programming
Skill Level Beginner
Learning the Python 3 Standard Librarywith Kathryn Hodge2h 9m Intermediate
Python Standard Library Essential Trainingwith Joe Marini2h 18m Intermediate
1. Defining Python
2. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Data
3. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Functions
4. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Sequences
5. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Conditional Statements
6. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Iteration
7. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Recursion
Define recursive functions6m 13s
8. Quick Intro to Object-Oriented Programming in Python
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.