Join Jungwoo Ryoo for an in-depth discussion in this video What is a design pattern?, part of Python: Design Patterns.
- When developing software,…you'll often observe the same problem…occurring over and over again.…These recurring problems imply that…there may already be well-known solutions to them.…This is why we need a design pattern.…Design patterns, in short, are well-known solutions…to recurring problems.…These are widely accepted solutions…by the software development community.…Then why do we use design patterns?…Here are some motivations behind the use of design patterns.…
First of all, there's no need to reinvent the wheel…and waste your time…when there's a perfect solution for you out there.…Secondly, design patterns allow to us reuse…these design ideas…and also encourage us to use the best practices…which in turn lowers the cost…and promotes the higher quality of software…you're developing.…Let's have a brief history lesson on design patterns.…The creator of this concept, design patterns,…is considered to be Christopher Alexander…who is a building architect…who has nothing to do with software development.…
The idea of these design patterns were then picked up by…
- Understanding design patterns
- Best design practices: consistency, completeness, and correctness
- Working with creational patterns
- Working with structural patterns
- Working with behavioral patterns
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: In the strategy pattern example, why does the code keep executing the default function rather than the alternate?
A: The programming demonstration skips the step of defining what the strategy pattern should be when an alternate function name is provided
as an argument as shown below.
Programming Foundations: Design Patternswith Elisabeth Robson2h 19m Intermediate
1. Understanding Design Patterns
2. Creational Patterns
3. Structural Patterns
4. Behavioral Patterns
5. Design Best Practices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.