The grid layout manager is one of the most useful layout tools at your disposal. You have already used it in many videos because it is just so powerful.
- [Instructor] Last time…we saw how to create tabbed widgets.…In this video, we will review some of the techniques…of the Grid Layout Manager.…We have used them already,…and here, we will explore them further.…The Grid Layout Manager…is one of the most useful layout tools at our disposal.…We have already used it in many videos…because it is just so powerful.…In this section, we have created rows and columns,…which truly is a database approach to GUI design,…Microsoft Excel does the same.…
We hard coded the first four rows,…but then we forgot to give the next row…a specification of where we wish it to reside.…Those rows are the one which I'm highlighting:…One for check buttons;…Another one for scroll text;…Row six for radio buttons;…And then row seven for labels.…Tkinter did fill this in for us without us even noticing.…
Here's what we did in our code.…Tkinter automatically adds the missing row…where we did not specify any particular row.…We might not realize this.…We laid out the check buttons on row four.…Then we forgot to specify the row…
Note: This course was created by Packt Publishing. We are pleased to host this training in our library.
- Creating buttons and widgets
- Adding labels and features
- Expanding a GUI dynamically
- Aligning frames and embedding frames
- Creating menu bars, message boxes, and tooltips
- Using module-level global variables
- Coding in classes
- Using Matplotlib to create charts
- Working with multiple threads, queues, and TCP/IP
- Using URLOpen to read data from websites
- Localizing a GUI and preparing for internationalization
- Testing a GUI using unit tests and Eclipse PyDev IDE
- Using the wxPython library
- Using Tkinter, PyOpenGL, and Pyglet
Skill Level Intermediate
Python GUI Development with Tkinterwith Barron Stone4h 55m Intermediate
1. Creating the GUI Form and Adding Widgets
2. Layout Management
3. Look and Feel Customization
4. Data and Classes
Using the StringVar() type8m 14s
5. Matplotlib Charts
6. Threads and Networking
7. Storing Data in Our MySQL Database via Our GUI
8. Internationalization and Testing
9. Extending Our GUI with the wxPython Library
10. Creating Amazing 3D GUIs with PyOpenGL and Pyglet
11. Best Practices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.