In this video, learn about the stemming process and use Python to perform this action.
- [Instruction] In this video I will discuss stemming, … a key processing step in text mining. … What is stemming? … To understand that we need to define a stem. … A stem is the base part of a word … to which affixes can be attached for derivatives. … For example, the word combine is the stem for … combine, combining, and combined. … The first part of these words are common. … The different words represent different grammatical elements … with the same meaning. … Stemming is a process that converts a word into its stem. … It keeps the base word. … As a result, the total unique words in the corpus goes down … and the words with similar meaning can be grouped together. … Stemming simply cuts off the affix, … so it may not result in a complete word. … In this example, we will do stemming … by using the PorterStemmer function available in NLTK. … Each word in the remaining token list … is passed through the stemmer, … which will give back the stemmed representation of the word. … The results are collected in another list …
- Text mining today
- Reading text files using Python
- Cleansing text data
- Build n-grams databases for text predictions
- Preparing TF-IDF matrices for machine learning
- Scaling text processing for performance