Join Jungwoo Ryoo for an in-depth discussion in this video Prototype, part of Python: Design Patterns.
- Prototype clones objects according to a prototypical instance. Prototype is especially useful when creating many identical objects individually. So this could be very expensive. And cloning could be a good alternative instead of creating individual objects one at a time. Let's assume that we are building a car. We can mass produce cars if the cars have the same color and the same options.
So in this case, you can simply clone the objects instead of creating the individual objects one at a time. So the solution in this case consists of creating a prototypical instance first and then simply cloning it whenever you need a replica. One of the patterns related to the prototype pattern is abstract factory.
- Understanding design patterns
- Best design practices: consistency, completeness, and correctness
- Working with creational patterns
- Working with structural patterns
- Working with behavioral patterns
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: In the strategy pattern example, why does the code keep executing the default function rather than the alternate?
A: The programming demonstration skips the step of defining what the strategy pattern should be when an alternate function name is provided
as an argument as shown below.
1. Understanding Design Patterns
2. Creational Patterns
3. Structural Patterns
4. Behavioral Patterns
5. Design Best Practices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.