In this video, the author shows you how to parse navigate HTML pages and grab elements using the Beautiful Soup library.
- [Narrator] If you're familiar…with the HTML Markup Language, you know…that it's relatively intuitive…to read it and write it for humans,…but annoyingly hard to parse it in software…without the help of a specialized library.…An HTML document consists of a tree…of nested elements that limited by start and end tags.…Elements may contain simple text or other elements.…Let me use the first cell in the notebook to explain.…For instance a tag may be P for a paragraph element…or B for a bold text element within a paragraph.…
The same tag with a slash is used to close an element.…By the way, all HTML tags are legal…within the markdown language,…so if you type HTML in a comments cell…in the Jupyter Notebook and select the type…correctly as markdown, it will be displayed correctly…once you have the cell.…Beautiful Soup, now with version four,…it's a powerful Python package to navigate,…search, and even modify the elementary…of an HTML document.…It does so with simple methods and Pythonic idioms.…
For example, iterators.…
- Designing efficient loops
- Exploiting Python collections
- Writing Pythonic code
- Choosing the best libraries for your tasks
- Downloading webpages with requests
- Parsing HTML with Beautiful Soup
- Manipulating images with Pillow
- Making videos and drawing on maps with matplotlib
- Serving webpages with Jinja2 and Flask
- Working with Python classes
- Taking advantage of functional techniques
- Profiling CPU and memory use
- Exploiting parallelism
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Installation and Setup
Jupyter notebooks3m 19s
2. Writing Python Efficiently
3. Exploiting Python Libraries
4. Advanced: Python Object-Oriented and Functional Programming
5. Introduction to Performance Optimization in Python
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.