Learn about hierarchical methods.
- [Narrator] Hierarchical clustering…is an unsupervised machine learning method…that you can use to predict subgroups…based on the difference between data points…and their nearest neighbors.…Each data point is linked to its neighbor…that is most nearby according to the distance metric…that you choose.…I know this sounds a bit confusing,…but think of this analogy.…Imagine you're a geneticist…and you want to identify the functional groups of genes…by analyzing gene expression profiles,…or profiles that identify all the genes…active within a cell.…
You decide to apply hierarchical clustering…to identify these groups…based on the distance between data points…and their nearest neighbors in the gene expression profile.…Data points that are most similar…are clustered into the same genetic functional group.…Hierarchical clustering predicts subgroups…within data by finding the distance between…each data point and its nearest neighbor…and also linking up the most nearby neighbors.…You can find the number of subgroups…that are appropriate for a hierarchical clustering model…
AuthorLillian Pierson, P.E.
- Getting started with Jupyter Notebooks
- Visualizing data: basic charts, time series, and statistical plots
- Preparing for analysis: treating missing values and data transformation
- Data analysis basics: arithmetic, summary statistics, and correlation analysis
- Outlier analysis: univariate, multivariate, and linear projection methods
- Introduction to machine learning
- Basic machine learning methods: linear and logistic regression, Naïve Bayes
- Reducing dataset dimensionality with PCA
- Clustering and classification: k-means, hierarchical, and k-NN
- Simulating a social network with NetworkX
- Creating Plot.ly charts
- Scraping the web with Beautiful Soup
Skill Level Beginner
1. Data Munging Basics
2. Data Visualization Basics
3. Basic Math and Statistics
4. Dimensionality Reduction
Explanatory factor analysis6m 39s
5. Outlier Analysis
6. Cluster Analysis
7. Network Analysis with NetworkX
8. Basic Algorithmic Learning
9. Web-based Data Visualizations with Plotly
10. Web Scraping with Beautiful Soup
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.