Join Jungwoo Ryoo for an in-depth discussion in this video Factory, part of Python: Design Patterns.
- Factory encapsulates object creation. That is, Factory is an object specializing in creating other objects. The Factory pattern is useful, especially when you're not sure about what type of objects you'll be needing eventually in your system. Another possibility is the situation in which your application needs to decide on what class to use at run time. Here is a scenario we'll be using in our coding exercise.
Your pet shop was only selling dogs but now you need to sell cats, too. Therefore, your system needs to be able to handle cats as well as dogs. Your system's supposed to show how each of the pets you sell speak.
- Understanding design patterns
- Best design practices: consistency, completeness, and correctness
- Working with creational patterns
- Working with structural patterns
- Working with behavioral patterns
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: In the strategy pattern example, why does the code keep executing the default function rather than the alternate?
A: The programming demonstration skips the step of defining what the strategy pattern should be when an alternate function name is provided
as an argument as shown below.
Programming Foundations: Design Patternswith Elisabeth Robson2h 19m Intermediate
1. Understanding Design Patterns
2. Creational Patterns
3. Structural Patterns
4. Behavioral Patterns
5. Design Best Practices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.