Many recursive functions share a particular anatomy. Learn how to define recursive functions.
- [Instructor] A common pattern can be found … in the body of many recursive functions. … The body begins with one or more base cases. … Base cases specify how the function should behave … for the simplest inputs. … In other words, … base cases are very simple versions … of the problem you're trying to solve. … The base cases are then followed … by one or more recursive cases. … Recursive cases are more complex versions … of the problem you're trying to solve … and they require one or more recursive calls. … Recursive calls always simplify the original problem. … Recursive functions simplify problems in stages. … For example, say you want to write function … that takes a positive integer as input … and returns the factorial of that number. … You could write a recursive function … and it would look something like this. … The if clause is the base case. … One is the simplest input for this function. … If N is equal to one, … the factorial of N is one. … The else clause is the recursive case. …
This course was created by Madecraft. We are pleased to host this content in our library.
- What is Python?
- Strengths and benefits of Python
- Types of data
- Storing data using variables
- Built-in and custom functions
- Lists and tuples
- Conditional statements
- Iteration with loops
- Recursive functions
- Object-oriented programming
Skill Level Beginner
Learning the Python 3 Standard Librarywith Kathryn Hodge2h 9m Intermediate
Python Standard Library Essential Trainingwith Joe Marini2h 18m Intermediate
1. Defining Python
2. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Data
3. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Functions
4. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Sequences
5. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Conditional Statements
6. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Iteration
7. Fundamentals of Programming in Python: Recursion
Define recursive functions6m 13s
8. Quick Intro to Object-Oriented Programming in Python
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.