In order to organize your expanding GUI, you need to create tabs.
- [Presenter] Previously, we created menu bars.…In this video we will create tabbed widgets…to further organize our expanding GUI written in Tkinter.…In order to improve our Python GUI using tabs,…we will start at the beginning…using the minimum amount of code necessary.…In the upcoming videos we will add widgets…from previous videos…and place them into this new tabbed layout.…Let's see how to do this.…
Create a new Python module…in a file named TabbedWidgets.py…and place this code into the module.…Let's check the output of the code…and then we'll explore what the code does.…Here's our GUI.…While not amazingly impressive as of yet,…this widget adds another very powerful tool…to our GUI design tool kit.…It comes with its own limitations…in this minimalist example.…
For example, we cannot reposition the GUI…nor does it show the entire GUI title.…While in previous videos we used the grid layout manager…for simpler GUIs, we can use a simpler layout manager…and pack is one of them.…Here…we pack tabControl ttk.Notebook…into the main GUI form expanding the notebook, Tab Control,…
Note: This course was created by Packt Publishing. We are pleased to host this training in our library.
- Creating buttons and widgets
- Adding labels and features
- Expanding a GUI dynamically
- Aligning frames and embedding frames
- Creating menu bars, message boxes, and tooltips
- Using module-level global variables
- Coding in classes
- Using Matplotlib to create charts
- Working with multiple threads, queues, and TCP/IP
- Using URLOpen to read data from websites
- Localizing a GUI and preparing for internationalization
- Testing a GUI using unit tests and Eclipse PyDev IDE
- Using the wxPython library
- Using Tkinter, PyOpenGL, and Pyglet
Skill Level Intermediate
Python GUI Development with Tkinter (2014)with Barron Stone4h 55m Intermediate
1. Creating the GUI Form and Adding Widgets
2. Layout Management
3. Look and Feel Customization
4. Data and Classes
Using the StringVar() type8m 14s
5. Matplotlib Charts
6. Threads and Networking
7. Storing Data in Our MySQL Database via Our GUI
8. Internationalization and Testing
9. Extending Our GUI with the wxPython Library
10. Creating Amazing 3D GUIs with PyOpenGL and Pyglet
11. Best Practices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.