Join Jungwoo Ryoo for an in-depth discussion in this video Composite, part of Design Patterns with Python.
- The composite design pattern maintains…a tree data structure to represent part-whole relationships.…Here we like to build a recursive tree data structure…so that an element of the tree…can have its own sub-elements.…An example of this problem is…creating menu and submenu items.…The submenu items can have their own…sub-submenu items.…So our coding challenge is to display…menu and submenu items…using this composite design pattern.…
Our solution consists of…three major elements.…The first one is component,…the second one is child,…and the third one is composite.…The component element is an abstract class.…A concrete class called child…inherits from this component class.…And then we have another concrete class…called composite,…which is also inheriting from the component class.…Finally, our composite class maintains child objects…by adding and removing them…to a tree data structure.…
Decorator, iterator, and visitor…are related to the composite design pattern.…
- Understanding design patterns
- Best design practices: consistency, completeness, and correctness
- Working with creational patterns
- Working with structural patterns
- Working with behavioral patterns
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: In the strategy pattern example, why does the code keep executing the default function rather than the alternate?
A: The programming demonstration skips the step of defining what the strategy pattern should be when an alternate function name is provided
as an argument as shown below.
Foundations of Programming: Design Patternswith Elisabeth Robson2h 19m Intermediate
1. Understanding Design Patterns
2. Creational Patterns
3. Structural Patterns
4. Behavioral Patterns
5. Design Best Practices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.