Canny edge detection is a useful algorithm commonly used as a preprocessor for finding contours and other object detection methods. It works by finding and accentuating the edges within an image. The result can be drawn into a binary image with multiple continuous line sets. While these lines define edges and not necessarily enclosed areas, it happens to still be a useful preprocessor to then run contours against the output of canny edges.
- Often we need to pre-process images…in order to improve our final result,…and in the case of extracting contours…from individual objects in an image…it is often handy to first detect…and accentuate the edges within an image.…Canny Edges is one type of edge detection algorithm…that works quite well to help create…better separation of objects within the image.…Generally speaking, edge detection algorithms…look at the rate or speed at which color…changes across the image.…Canny Edges is a specific form of that algorithm…that creates a single pixel wide line…at key high gradient areas in the image.…
This can help break up the object…if there was an overlap in our segmentation process.…Let's take a look at how we can use Canny Edges.…Imagine the goal here is to try and segment…out each individual tomato.…If we're running a threshold, we may run into…an issue where the different tomatoes…get blobbed together as one single object.…Let's see what that would look like…by quickly doing a threshold.…To do this, let's first convert to the HSV color space…
AuthorPatrick W. Crawford
- Installing and configuring OpenCV
- Data types and structures
- Image types
- Manipulating pixels
- Scaling and rotating images
- Using video inputs
- Creating custom interfaces
- Object detection
- Face and feature detection
- Template matching
Skill Level Intermediate
Python: Programming Efficientlywith Michele Vallisneri2h 15m Intermediate
NumPy Data Science Essential Trainingwith Charles Kelly3h 54m Intermediate
1. Install and Configure OpenCV
2. Basic Image Operations
3. Object Detection
4. Face and Feature Detection
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.