We cover expanding the WBS diagram report to show all levels of the project tasks, then collapse other branches of the diagram to remove duplicate elements.
- [Voiceover] Now currently in our WBS diagram,…we still have just three or four tasks here,…some of which are summary lines.…We want to get additional level of detail…into this particular project.…So the best thing for us to do is click and drag…on the selected task level, the second level down.…We can add additional, or expand that task list,…by now selecting the task in the categories…on the left-hand side.…Now Visio will go back to the project file,…and we'll import the data necessary to do this.…
Now we'd also like to get all of the levels of the project,…so we'll hit that two more times to import all of the data…into our project, and we'll do that once more.…So this brings over all the data from the project.…Now we may not want all of the tasks,…because there might be duplication,…and I'll show you as we get to that section.…So in this area here,…you can see that the Stock Project item repeats,…because it's a single level item,…and because there's no additional levels down below,…it just duplicates it.…
So we no longer want to do that…
NOTE: This course was designed in collaboration with Bonnie Biafore. The techniques shown work equally well with Microsoft Project 2010, 2013, and 2016.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to edit a report template.
- Recall how to insert a graph into a visual Excel template.
- Recognize the steps to take in order to add additional functionality into a Visio WBS diagram.
- Determine the steps to expand on a data set in an Excel report.
- Identify three PivotChart tools.