This video shows how to insert projects into a master projects and then demonstrates how calendars and calendar options for several projects work together without interference.
- [Instructor] So far, we've created a few calendars,…and used them in a few different project files.…Now it's time to take a closer look…at how calendars and different files work…when they're in a master file.…Let's go ahead and create a new project…for a master for all of our related projects.…On the File tab, I click New.…And I'm going to click Blank Project.…Let's go to the Project tab,…and click Project Information.…In the Project Information dialog box,…I'm going to start this master project on October 2nd.…
In this case it's 2017.…Notice the project automatically assigns…the standard calendar from the global template.…That's fine with me.…So I'm going to click OK to save this project.…Now let's go on the Project tab…to change Working Time.…In the For calendar box,…it says "Standard" and in parenthesis "Project Calendar".…And you can see that it's using the 45-hour work week,…8 to 6, with an hour for lunch,…that we've put in the global template.…
Down at the bottom right, I'm going to click Cancel,…to close the dialog box.…
Next, Bonnie explains how to create shift calendars by setting work schedules for specific tasks and assigning schedules to resources. Then learn how to fine-tune project, task, and resource calendars, including biweekly schedules. Last, she covers working with multiple calendars, including copying and sharing custom calendars with all Project files and integrating multiple projects with different calendars into a single master Project file.
Note: This course was designed in collaboration with John Riopel.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Setting up your organization's calendar, including nonworking periods
- Coordinating calendars
- Creating a new shift calendar
- Assigning calendars to resources
- Customizing project, task, and resource calendars
- Working with multiple calendars in a master Project file