In this video, you will learn the important skills and characteristics of a project manager.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- The perception most people have about Project Managers…is that they're really organized…and good at getting things done.…Project Managers actually use a wide variety of skills…and knowledge.…First, Project Managers learn technical skills…specific to project management,…like what goes into a project plan,…how to build and fine-tune a project schedule,…and how to measure performance.…Then there's business expertise.…
As a Project Manager, it's up to you…to make sure your project delivers value.…You need to understand your organization's business,…what it does, and what it considers important.…That way you can see how your project fits in,…and you can make good decisions to ensure…that your project is a success in the company's eyes.…Problem solving is a huge part of being a Project Manager.…
Projects never and I mean never…go according to plan.…Your job is to figure out how to achieve project objectives…and meet the schedule and budget…despite the problems that arise.…One of the most important things…in a Project Manager's toolbox…
Bonnie Biafore has always been fascinated by how things work and how to make things work better. In this course, she explains the fundamentals of project management, from defining the problem, establishing project goals and objectives, and building a project plan to managing team resources, meeting deadlines, and closing the project. Along the way, she provides tips for reporting on project performance, keeping a project on track, and gaining customer acceptance.
- Defining the components of a project
- What it takes to be a project manager
- Using project management software like Microsoft Project
- Managing project scope, budget, and schedule
- Managing project resources, including people
- Managing project risk
- Initiating a project
- Identifying and managing stakeholders
- Identifying requirements and deliverables
- Developing a project plan
- Building a project schedule
- Assigning resources to tasks
- Understanding the critical path
- Running the project
- Managing teams
- Monitoring performance
- Closing a project
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Project Management
2. Exploring Project Management Knowledge Areas
3. First Things First
How to develop requirements4m 19s
4. Developing a Project Plan
5. Building a Project Schedule
6. While You Run the Project
7. Working with Teams
8. Monitoring and Controlling Progress and Performance
9. Closing a Project
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.